Permit Application

*Please review the fire protection criteria located at the end of the general instructions PDF listed above (second blue box) to ensure compliance prior to applying for a building permit.

State and County laws require that anyone who wants to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the use of any building or structure must first get a permit. This includes work on electrical, plumbing, gas or mechanical systems as well. There are some exceptions to this law, some things that don’t require a permit. Please call the inspectors if you would like to confirm the need for a permit.

  • 2021 International Building Code
  • 2021 International Residential Code
  • 2021 International Mechanical Code
  • 2021 International Plumbing Code
  • 2021 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2021 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2021 International Fire Code
  • 2020 National Electrical Code

    Link to Utah State Amendments to the Building Codes

  • Seismic Design Category – D or D-1, depending on location
  • Ground Snow Load – 35 psf – For IRC Projects
  • Roof Snow Load – 30 psf, or more depending on elevation
  • Wind Speed – 115 mph – For IRC Projects
  • Frost Depth – 30 inches, or more depending on location

Give us as much information as you can. Fill the forms out completely. Essential items are the property owner’s name, address and phone number, the address and parcel number of the construction site. The Recorder’s Office has the information you need for the property. On the second page, list any contractors that you intend to use. State law requires that all contractors must be properly licensed to perform work you are hiring them to do, and we check for those licenses. The third page is where we need your signature, either the owner or authorized agent. We won’t be able to proceed with your application without this information, and the documents specified under “Submittal Documents”.

Documents you will need to have with your permit application are:

  • A completed Permit Application.
  • A site plan, showing the size of your property, the location (with distances) of any existing buildings, wells and septic systems, and the location of the structure you intend to build. The zoning officers will use this information to verify compliance with all the appropriate zoning ordinances in your area including required setbacks from property lines, wells and septic systems. The building department will use the information to check the required separation of buildings on the lot.
  • Proof of ownership, or the permission to build on the property.
  • Construction documents. This is a complete set of plans with enough information to show the structural and physical elements of the project. Any commercial project will need to be prepared by a licensed architect. Some elements of residential construction may need to be engineered, the inspectors can help you with that determination. Plans should include elevations, floor plans, sections, component schedules and details.