- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have valid picture ID (driver’s license, military ID, passport, State ID)
- Must appear in person by appointment accompanied by parent or legal guardian.
- Must present certified Birth Certificate (issued by the State).
- In the case of divorced parents, the parent must provide proof of guardianship (court papers) to be attached to the application.
A Petition for Authorization to Marry and Court Order form must be obtained from the Clerk’s Office and taken to the Juvenile Court Judge in addition to requirements for minor ages 16-17.
- Licenses are valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. Licenses can be used anywhere in Utah.
- License fees may be paid with cash, credit/debit or check in person. Online applications are credit/debit only.
- The fee is $50.00 for a marriage license (includes 2 certified copies that are mailed to the customer).
- The fee for additional certified copies is $7.00 for the first copy and $2.00 for each additional copy purchased at the same time.
- Once you receive your certified copies of your marriage license; visit Social Security and Driver’s License Division to get the name change completed.
- Visit the link to find a Social Security Office near you and learn about the requirements they have for changing your name. Go to https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-01981.
- Visit the link to contact your local Driver’s License Division office. Go to https://dld.utah.gov/.
How to Apply for Your
Marriage License/Ceremony Online
- Complete your marriage license application online and pay online by credit card or debit card. All required fields for each applicant must be completed in order to proceed. The license fee is non-refundable and includes two certified copies.
- Read the confirmation email containing the information about finalizing your application by emailing us a selfie and copies of your driver’s license to email@example.com.
- Once ID is verified, we will email you your license to be printed in color and instructions for your officiator.
- Print off the copy of the officiant worksheet to give to the individual performing your ceremony.
- Use black ink for all required signatures. The information must be complete before your officiator returns the completed license to us.
How to Apply for Your
Marriage License/Ceremony in Person
If the online license system is not working for you, if you need to pay for your license fee with a form of payment other than credit/debit, or you would prefer to complete your application in person, you can come into the Tooele County Clerk’s office during regular business hours by appointment only. Please call (435) 843-3155 to make an appointment. Both parties must be present.