The Town of Ophir resulted from mining claims established by Col. Patrick Connor’s soldiers in 1860, who were bivouacked in the Stockton area. Word traveled fast that Ophir was rich in precious minerals, and soon miners from Nevada and California arrived to make it rich. Ophir quickly boomed with stores, brothels, saloons, and dance halls. Today, Ophir is a quiet ghost town with a handful of families who have remained. The old Town Hall and other sites in the mountain community have been restored.
Location: Five miles inside Ophir Canyon. Ophir Canyon is approximately 22 miles south of Tooele.
Continue to Rush Valley, Clover and St. John >>