Steps to lease-up through the Tooele County Housing Authority (TCHA)
1. Turn-in an application to put your name on our Waiting List.
2. Update application with any changes to household size or income.
3. Wait until your name moves to the top of the Waiting List. Attend a pre-screening appointment, then if determined eligible, provide all necessary documents to TCHA. At this time you may be scheduled to attend a Briefing.
4. Come to the Briefing at 66 W. Vine Street, Tooele, where the Housing Choice Voucher Program will be explained to you and you will receive all the documents necessary to find a unit. You must be on time for the briefing and no children please.
5. Find a unit that you think will pass an inspection, is within Tooele County rental limits and the landlord is willing to work with Tooele County Housing Authority.
6. Have the prospective landlord fill out the Request for Tenancy Approval completely and sign it on the back.
Request for Tenancy Approval
7. Bring the Request for Tenancy Approval, a copy of the provided lease on which is written: “The HUD Tenancy Addendum is hereby made a part of this lease,” and the W9 and Cover Letter to 66 W. Vine Street, Tooele. AFter we process this paperwork, if the unit is approved, we will call the phone number on the RFTA or send a letter to your present address to schedule an inspection.
8. Have an adult at the unit when the inspector comes to inspect. The unit must be vacant or you must occupy the unit and all utilities must be turned on for the unit to be inspected.
9. If your unit does not pass the inspection, make the necessary repairs first, then call TCHA (435) 882-7875, Ext. 122, to schedule a re-inspection appointment.
10. After your unit passes an inspection, TCHA will call you to make an appointment to sign the final paperwork. (This is when your portion of the rent and TCHA’s portion of the rent will be calculated.)
11. You are then done until re-certification or until any changes occur in your household or income. We will send a letter two to three months prior to your deadline for re certification. Follow the instructions to complete your re certification by your deadline.